How to Clean Shag Rug
📅 December 28, 2021•
⏱️2 min read
Shag rugs can occasionally be hard to clean. This is mainly because of their natural shaggy appearance. You can use several cleaning techniques. However, you should not vacuum shag rug fibers intensely. So, how does one clean a shag rug?
These are a few step-by-step procedures homeowners use to clean a shag rug when it is dirty.
Here are four effective methods to understand.
Basic cleaning help to eliminate mild dirt and spills on the shag rug.
- Dust or sweep the shag rug. AVOID intense vacuuming
- Apply dry rug shampoo on the carpet
- Let it absorb the shampoo for approximately 15 minutes
- Dub the carpet with a damp cloth
- Rinse the carpet until the shampoo vanishes completely
- Air-dry the carpet
Spot cleaning is advisable if you have accidentally spilled coffee, wine, ketchup, or any organic substance on your shag rug.
Spot cleaning helps eliminate the stain from the shag rug effectively.
- Immediately blot the spill using a paper towel or sponge
- Mix equal part dishwashing solution + water
- Gently scrub the stained area with a medium-density brush. You need to do it in a circular motion from the outside to the inside.
- Rinse with adequate water and allow to air dry
Dry bathing involves cleaning the carpet using dry shampoo. Dry shampoo helps eliminate fresh stains from the shag rug.
- Thoroughly vacuum the shag rug
- Sprinkle enough dry shampoo on the stained spot
- Scrub the stained spot using a medium-density brush. From the outside to the inside
- Leave the carpet to sit for about 15 minutes
Use other intense cleaning solutions if the above techniques do not work.
Steam cleaners usually get rid of extensive stains and messy accidents.
- Vacuum the shag rug and remove loose debris
- Work on the rug with a steam cleaner. Always follow the recommended instructions before using a steam cleaner.
- Allow the carpet to air dry
Two recommended shag rug cleaning products
This is a water-based all-purpose carpet cleaner that effectively eliminates any organic stains. It is also an environmentally friendly spot cleaning action product used on furniture upholstery and shag rugs.
OxiClean is a multipurpose deep carpet cleaning solution that gets rid of stubborn stains. Furthermore, this product can also be used in any carpet machine.
You will have a spotless shag rug in your home if you follow the above-discussed cleaning techniques.