How to Clean Oriental Rugs
📅 January 23, 2022•
⏱️2 min read
Oriental rugs are uniquely designed mats that have a distinct color pattern. Cleaning an oriental rug involves a delicate process. You need to be careful and make its condition is well maintained.
Before we discuss how to clean an oriental rug, we need to answer a few questions most homeowners ask.
Answer: Cleaning an oriental rug depends on its position. Vacuum twice a week high traffic area rugs, and once a week for the low traffic area rugs.
Medium vacuuming regularly to reduce debris and bacteria. However, avoid too much vacuuming as it can damage or loosen the rug's fibers.
It involves a delicate process to clean the fringe of a hand-woven oriental rug. Thus, it is best to consult a professional.
Follow these steps for machine-woven rugs
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- Spray bottle
- 2tsp of pH7 laundry powder
- Gently comb the fringe outwards
- Mix vinegar and 2 cups of water in a spray bottle
- Spray the fringe and brush gently
- Mix laundry powder with 2 cups of water
- Clean the fringe with the solution and a brush
- Rinse the carpet and let it air dry
Be cautious when cleaning an oriental rug. First, test the materials in an inconspicuous area before using any cleaning detergent.
Here is a step-by-step process to clean an oriental rug and remove stains.
- Baking soda
- Soft brush
- pH7 laundry powder
- Warm and cold water
- Vacuum to remove debris
- Mix warm water and laundry powder
- Clean the carpet with a brush and the solution
- Gently scrub the fibers
- Blot with a dry towel
- Pour enough vinegar and baking soda to work on stain and odors
- Let it sit for about an hour
- Vacuum the rug
- Clean and comb the fringe of the rug
- Rinse with cold water
- Air-dry the rug. But not directly under the sun. (You can use a fan or a dehumidifier to speed up this process)
- Leave it for 2-3 days to dry completely.
Lastly, you should know how to maintain your oriental rug.
Here are efficient ways to take care of an oriental rug and maintain its look.
Understand these easy-to-follow caring tips.
- Avoid walking with shoes on the rug to limit debris
- Clean any spills to avoid staining the rug
- Only vacuum when it is necessary
- Keep pets away from the rug so they will not scratch or pee on the rug
- Do not aerate under direct sunlight to avoid bleaching